The Education and Program Assistant reports to the Director of Education and Public Programs and serves as an essential member of the Egan Maritime’s community outreach efforts. The position includes assistance with public programs, events, and community outreach.
The Education and Program Assistant is a part-time hourly position (Minimum of 20 hours a week), with some weekend days and evening hours included.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Director of Education and Museum Director with educational offerings at the Shipwreck and Lifesaving Museum for all K-8 students.
- Act as the lead educator on all Lynx Student Sails and overnight opportunities.
- Coordinate social media and digital media outreach for Sea of Opportunities, Museum, and Public Program Offerings.
- Coordinate and manage Egan Maritime’s community outreach initiatives and public programs. This includes helping with programming at the museum and on the water on the Tall Ship Lynx.
- Assist the Director of Education and Public Programs and Executive Director with special events, including but not limited to managing event logistics, coordinating volunteers, and working with vendors.
Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Personal Characteristics:
- bachelor’s degree in Education, Public History, Museum Education or a similar field
- Water sailing/boating experience and general knowledge of Maritime Studies.
- Experience working with elementary and middle school students.
- Interested in the knowledge and understanding of the richness of Nantucket’s Maritime Heritage.
- Ability and comfort to work with others in a collaborative fashion.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work constructively and positively with volunteer boards, committees, volunteers and the general public
- Strong working knowledge of office automation and software, including Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, Excel, and online services
- Experience with database management and special events are a plus
EMI is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EMI is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter summarizing your professional experience as it relates to the job description and a comprehensive resume. Email your required materials to the Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org . References may be requested.
Review begins October 11, 2022. Position is open until filled.