Egan Maritime Institute and its Nantucket Shipwreck & Lifesaving Museum seek to fill several full and part-time summer jobs for the 2023 season, late May through early September. We are looking for qualified candidates who will work with museum professionals in various activities. As the oldest museum in America dedicated to honoring lifesavers, we offer an opportunity to work at one of the island's most scenic sites with an enthusiastic staff dedicated to telling the stories of Nantucket's heroes.
We offer competitive hourly wages, and housing may be available for suitable candidates who can commit full-time during the summer.
The Museum Shop/Visitor Services Associate is a seasonal, full-time position that includes day-to-day operation of the museum gift shop and the admissions desk.
How to Apply / Contact
|If you are interested in the position described below, please send your resume and indicate in an accompanying message the position(s) for which you are applying. Please send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, you may telephone Chuck at (508) 228-1885 or mobile at 508 221 2472.|
MUSEUM INTERPRETER: We will hire a full-time person to represent the museum's public face by conducting tours, giving talks, and undertaking educational tasks for visitors from around the globe.
- Successful candidates will be introduced to the history of organizations such as the U.S. Lifesaving Service and the U.S. Lighthouse Service that make up the present-day U.S. Coast Guard. Training will include learning techniques of good storytelling and interacting with groups of museum visitors.
- The principal responsibility is to guide visitors through the museum and retell the stories of courage and self-sacrifice that characterize the experience of Nantucket's volunteer and professional lifesavers.
- Museum Interpreters may be asked to make brief visitor presentations describing collection artifacts or relating information to visitors about a personality or lifesaving event that is not presently part of an active exhibit.
- Participate in and satisfactorily complete Interpreter training, demonstrating content knowledge and ability to interpret our permanent and changing exhibitions to the public.
- Perform light maintenance to ensure the museum's grounds' safety, cleanliness, and organization.
- Salary for this position ranges from $18.00 to $20.00 per hour, depending upon experience.
- The museum is open to the public six days a week from May through early October. The typical workday is 9:30 to 5:00 PM; occasionally, there may be an opportunity to elect to work evenings to accommodate special events or programs.
Prior experience in a museum or as a teacher, storyteller, or historian is optional but helps present interpretive programs. The ability to communicate orally in a public setting and work well with various ages and learning styles is essential. Anyone interested in maritime art, literature, or Nantucket history will find this an ideal summer job.
How to Apply / Contact: If you are interested in the position described below, please send your resume and indicate in an accompanying message the position(s) for which you are applying. Please send your information to email@example.com. If you have questions, you may telephone Chuck Allard at (508) 228-1885.
Egan Maritime Institute seeks to hire a dedicated paid Education Intern, working under the Education Manager, to lead daily family activities at the Nantucket Shipwreck and Life Saving Museum, Monday-Friday, 10:00 am-3:30 pm for the Months of July and August. Specific educational duties include:
- leading maritime-focused lessons, setting up/taking down activities, and keeping materials clean, in order, and fully stocked.
- We seek an individual with a background in education, public history, museum education or a related field.
- Preferred candidates will have experience working specifically with primary-aged children and families, have excellent public-facing communication skills, and possess experience in project-based learning.
How to Apply / Contact: If you are interested in the position described below, please send your resume and indicate in an accompanying message the position(s) for which you are applying. Please send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, you may call Evan Schwanfelder at 508-228-2505